Galápagos Conservancy

Protecting a Fragile Treasure With the Help of Local Communities

Protecting a Fragile Treasure With the Help of Local Communities
Support of waste management on Isabela Island, transforming recyclable waste into art ©Galápagos Conservancy

The Galápagos Archipelago is a truly unique natural treasure, sought out by visitors from around the world. With 97% of its land mass protected by the Galápagos National Park, the Ecuadorian government provides key protections for the archipelago’s biodiversity — but many of the greatest biodiversity hotspots are in the remaining 3%, where people live. In these areas, involving local communities in conservation efforts is paramount. These communities depend on nature-based tourism for their livelihood and well being. By engaging them in conservation efforts, we can ensure a more sustainable future for both the environment and the people who call Galápagos home.

One initiative that Galápagos Conservancy takes great pride in is its work to reduce single-use plastics. A few years ago, the proliferation of these plastics posed a significant threat to the archipelago’s unique ecosystems, particularly the marine environment. After launching a program to reduce the use of single-use plastics in Galápagos, working closely with local communities to inform them about the harmful environmental impacts of plastic waste, and promoting reusable bags, water bottles, and containers, the use of single-use plastics in Galápagos has been reduced significantly.

At Galápagos Conservancy, we are committed to supporting the involvement of local communities in the conservation and sustainability of Galápagos. By promoting sustainable and responsible practices and educating people on the importance of protecting the environment, we can safeguard the natural beauty of Galápagos for generations to come.