Many individuals travel to Galapagos as volunteers or seek to include volunteer work as part of their visits. There are a number of organizations through which you can put your time and skills to work in activities that will benefit Galapagos over time. Please note that Galapagos Conservancy is not directly associated with any of these volunteer programs and you will need to contact them directly to seek information:
- The Charles Darwin Foundation (CDF) recruits volunteers with skills and experience related to its scientific programs and administrative and fundraising needs. Most volunteers are based at the Charles Darwin Research Station in Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz island, although some assignment sites may be on San Cristóbal or Isabela island.
- The Galapagos National Park Service (GNPS) manages a volunteer program, coordinated by the Department of Conservation and Sustainable Development at the GNP headquarters in Santa Cruz, which recruits volunteers to learn about, participate in, and contribute directly to the management activities of the Park.
- Fundar Galapagos provides volunteers opportunities to become involved in a variety of sustainable development programs or to develop their own activities or research projects. Some volunteers work in the more urban parts of the islands, while others dedicate their time to Fundar’s Pajaro Brujo Reserve in the Santa Cruz highlands.
- Hacienda Tranquila,located on the island of San Cristobal, provides volunteers the opportunity to participate in a native species reforestation program as well as a number of community projects.
- The New Era Galapagos Foundation, a Galapagos non-profit staffed entirely by volunteers, recruits volunteers to teach English to adults and children and to participate in a range of community development activities.
12.04.13 December 5, 2013 Galapagos Giant Tortoises are now giving pandas some competition... More >
11.15.13 November 15, 2013 Following the discovery of a dead marine iguana at Tortuga... More >
Latest Blog Posts
This year, Galapagos Conservancy is proud to be a partner of #GivingTuesday—a... More >
At Galapagos Conservancy, we strive to not only preserve the diverse species... More >