Employment Opportunities at Galapagos Conservancy (Virginia, USA) and the Charles Darwin Foundation (Galapagos, Ecuador)
There is currently 1 position open at Galapagos Conservancy.
There are currently 0 positions open at the Charles Darwin Foundation.
Galapagos Conservancy Job Opening
Position: Major Gifts Officer
Location: Fairfax, VA 22030
Galapagos Conservancy seeks a Major Gifts Officer for its Fairfax, VA office who has a passion for environmental conservation and the skills and desire to help build a vibrant major gifts program to support priority programs in the Galapagos Islands. The successful candidate will excel at donor research, writing, cultivation, and solicitation of individuals capable of annual gifts of $5,000+. The Major Gifts Officer will report to the Director of Strategic Programs and will work in close coordination with the Director of Membership and Marketing. This position will also support the President in cultivation and solicitation of new major donor prospects currently within the Galapagos Conservancy portfolio, as well as individuals identified by Galapagos Conservancy Board and staff.
About Galapagos Conservancy:
Galapagos Conservancy leads a collaborative effort to balance both conservation and a thriving community in one of the world’s most remarkable ecosystems. We work with an international network of top-tier scientists, policy makers, and Galapagos residents on programs focused on ecosystem restoration, knowledge management for policy making, and building a sustainable society in the islands. Our work is made possible by our 12,000 members, most of whom have visited Galapagos. Please visit our website at www.galapagos.org to find out more about our organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and manage relationships with prospective and existing donors at the $1,000+ level in all aspects of the gift cycle including identifying and initiating contact, developing cultivation strategies, soliciting, and upgrading high level donors
- Collect and manage information in GC’s fundraising database on current and potential donors through meetings, research, and networking
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Strategic Programs, President, and other program staff to prepare for donor meetings, participate in donor meetings, and take the lead on soliciting gifts
- Produce fundraising materials, including donor correspondence and acknowledgements, presentations, and reports
- Formulate annual budget for major gifts program
- Create and coordinate small donor events throughout the US featuring Galapagos Conservancy staff, grantees, and other speakers
- Encourage planned giving through regular outreach and communication efforts
- Bachelor’s degree required with 3-5 years of successful fundraising experience working with donors and prospects
- Demonstrated track record of achieving defined revenue goals
- Comfortable with donor cultivation and solicitation via phone, email, and in person
- Strong writing skills
- Strong research skills
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Willing to travel
- Proficient in Microsoft office applications and development database systems
- Interest in and understanding of broad science and conservation issues
- Spanish language skills a plus, but not required
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full time position with core working hours from 9 to 5, M–F. Salary is competitive based on skills and experience, and there exists significant room for advancement, based on performance. A generous benefits package includes: health insurance, disability insurance, vacation and sick leave, half-day summer Friday schedule, flexible work schedule if needed, Simple IRA plan, and casual working environment. This position is classified as non-exempt from overtime pay as defined by the Fair Labor Standards Act.
How to Apply:
As of May 14, 2013 we are still accepting applications. Resumes and cover letters may be submitted via email to email@example.com. Interviews with selected candidates will commence immediately. Please do not follow-up unless contacted.
Starting Date: ASAP
If you are interested in volunteering in Galapagos, there are a number of organizations offering opportunities to do so. Please contact those organizations directly.
If you are interested in supporting activities of our Fairfax, Virginia office (mailings, data entry, translations, writing, background research, etc.), please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will keep your name and contact information on file and will contact you when we are in need of volunteers.
Inquiries and comments may also be made by mailing or calling us at our office:
11150 Fairfax Blvd, Suite 408
Fairfax, VA 22030
The Galapagos National Park Service will repatriate 150 juvenile tortoises from the Isabela Island Breeding Center
04.10.13 The repatriation is scheduled for Saturday, April 20th, to help restore the... More >
04.05.13 A multi-institutional educational program allowed 200 children to have fun... More >